Be Strong Families promotes the empowered engagement of vulnerable parents, youth, children, and extended family members in ways that nurture the spirit of the family and promote well-being, healing and peace across the globe.
Be Strong Families sees the becoming of a healthy, strong global family in which:
- everyone works together to support each other and to create a sustainable future for our children spanning multiple generations
- every society is composed of tight, loving, and fabulously strong families, and
- all children are safe, cared for, and nurtured in healthy communities.
Family: Our value of family begins with respect for and appreciation of others no matter how old, how young, where they come from, what they’ve experienced, where they are, how capable they are, how healthy they are, who they love. It extends to individual’s choices of who they call family – what intentional, meaningful relationships they form. Our value of family extends to community and to sisterhood and brotherhood.
Authenticity: Our commitment is to being real, present, with our whole selves for every moment, every meeting, every activity and every project.
Liberation: We value social, political, economic, racial and ethnic, spiritual justice and we promote freedom and facilitate transformation grounded in our value of liberation.
Vitality: This means being strong, active, and filled with positive energy. Our value of vitality includes well-being of mind, body, spirit and soul – and of individuals, families, communities, societies, and the earth.
Collaboration: True collaboration is working together to have a collective impact that benefits everyone involved. Part of this value is inclusion – for us, every perspective is welcome, every voice is valuable for advancing the work.
Excellence: We value quality, integrity, and professionalism. Our excellence is advanced by being strategic and intentional about all of our choices and by using skillful means, such as the Strengthening Families ™ Protective Factors and other tools and frameworks that assist us with getting the job done!
Spirit: We pay attention to the spirit of things: the energy of them. Because of this, we are attentive to synchronicity, understanding that processes that involve people are organic and often non-linear. We seek to go where the energy is and to move forward building on strengths to realize abundance and prosperity. We understand Spirit to be the foundation of everything – including family– and we aspire to know our fundamental connection.
Be Strong Families is comprised of a passionate, dedicated, diverse team that works in partnership with systems, service providers, and parents. We have deep experience and specific expertise fostering the leadership of:
- Child Welfare administrators and front-line staff and child-welfare-involved parents (birth, foster, and adoptive) and youth in residential and foster care and alumni.
- Community violence prevention staff and parents in high-need, urban communities
- Early childhood program staff – both center- and home-based providers – and parents, including Head Start parents – in both urban and rural settings.