Be Strong Families offers an array of workshops and resources for foster parents looking to create a strong circle of support with other foster parents and build a sense of unity with birth parents. Below are resources we currently provide and are developing.
Be Strong Foster Parents connects foster parents with each other and with resources to build the Protective Factors in their families. Be Strong Foster Parents is a project of Be Strong Families and Strengthening Families Illinois. We know you’re doing great work to strengthen families, and we want to recruit you.
Foster Parent Cafes
Be Strong Families offers Foster Parent only cafes. The Parent Cafes process was developed by to support programs and communities in engaging parents, building protective factors, and promoting deep individual self-reflection and peer-to-peer learning. Parent Cafés are based on the principles of adult learning and family support and are a gateway to providing parent leadership opportunities.
This training is designed to promote healthy, meaningful and working relationships and partnerships between Birth Parents and Foster Parents who are involved in the Child Welfare System.
- The objectives of this training are to promote permanency and timely reunification by:
- Finding commonalities between foster parents and birth parents
- Promoting peace and collaboration between foster and birth parents
- Practicing communication skills for challenging conversations
- Assisting participants in developing empathy and letting go of judgment
- Developing strategies to work together to benefit children
Aspects of the Peace Circle Process, self reflection and experiential learning via role playing and real life situations assist participants in being open about their fears, hopes and opportunities as a result of this very unique relationship.
This training is co-facilitated by a foster parent and birth parent, who have taken the journey towards forgiveness and understanding in order to bring healing to this very special population.